Asplenium fontanum ( FF ) > > X < < < < Asplenium petrarchae ssp. bivalens ( PP )
This is the complicated family tree of this family that moves from convention, taboos and prohibitions. One would think that its members are envious of the Pharaohs, who married their sisters.
Asplenium x sollerense is thus a hybrid allotetraploid with 75% of the genome from the Asplenium petrarchae ssp. bivalens (its grandmother) and the remaining 25% of Asplenium fontanum (its grandfather).
As with its cousin Asplenium x reichsteinii, Asplenium x sollerense, although theoretically barren, is also able to generate viable spores and it is not difficult to find copies alone in the walls of more wet darkest terraces of Soller Valley. The most striking is its vivid green colour, the pendular disposition of its long fronds and the form of its blade, conspicuously wider at its distal part.